Senate President, Lawan gives update on 774,000 jobs recruitment exercise
Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, has said the recruitment of 774,000 Nigerians remains on hold.
Lawan stated this on Monday, while speaking with journalists.
He insisted that a joint committee of the National Assembly was right to demand an explanation on the recruitment exercise.
Last week, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, clashed with some lawmakers while responding to questions about the process.
But Lawan insisted that they deserve to know how the programme would be implemented, since they approved the N52billion budget for it.
“It is within the purview of our committees to demand an explanation on the process and procedure through which the programme would be implemented. So, our joint committee was right. The committee was right to ask the questions. We are meant to interrogate the processes through which such programmes will be implemented.
READ ALSO: Nigeria Police dismiss 10 senior officers, demote 8 others
“The committee resolved that the programme be suspended until such explanations are provided on how this programme will be implemented. We stand by that.
“The national assembly is saying that until the executive arm of government comes to explain how they will implement that programme,” Lawan said.